Sunday, June 23, 2013

Five Golden Rules To Recreate Perfect Blowouts

We all love that "fresh-from-the-salon" feeling and know that there's nothing like a good hair day to skyrocket your confidence. I mean, honestly, your hair is least cooperative thing on your body! But, as with many great luxuries within this beautiful world, it's completely unrealistic to visit your nearest blowout bar/salon and get that feeling every day. However, you could probably achieve this exact feeling of confidence if you tried a DIY blowout at home! 

I know, what you're thinking... "There's no way I can recreate my perfect blowout! I'm not one of the pros." There's actually not much to it if you stay true to the golden rules of perfect blowouts!

  1. Cleanse It - Use a nourishing, but lightweight shampoo and conditioner.This is essential. A great blowout is all about the free movement and volume that your hair has. Cleansers that pull your hair down are a no-no, so I'd advise skipping deep conditioners here.
  2. Prep Your Hair - Apply a foam,volumizing product to the roots, heat protectant and only apply treatment oils to the ends of hair. This is basically reinforcing Rule #1, we're still going for a weightless quality here. I'm a big fan of Aveda's Phommolient Styling Foam and DryBar's 100 Proof Treatment Oil here.
  3. Get your tools together! -  Having all of the necessary materials assembled is essential and will make your blowout go by a lot quicker. I regularly gather my brush, a fine tooth comb for detangling and parting, 1 small size claw clip,  4 large duck bill clips, a 1" barrel brush and your hairdryer. Depending on the length of your hair, you may want to up the barrel brush size.
  4. About The Hairdryer - Get a powerful hair dryer. This is where you want to make an investment. A good hair dryer will be lightweight, have various heat settings and will come with a nozzle attachment so that you can easily work in tandem with your barrel brush.
  5. Ready Your Work Area - Sectioning and Parting your hair will help you immensely when working through your blowout. I like to part my hair in 4 quarters, and work in small sections of hair about 2"-3" in size. When drying focus on getting to the roots with the barrel brush to add volume and thoroughly dry for optimal results.
perfect blowout at home


These rules have really helped me when venturing into doing blowouts at home. I promise, if you stay true to these rules, you'll like your final look a lot! 

Let me know in the comments below if you have any additional tried and true rules to recreating your perfect blowout! I'd love to hear from you!

Connect with The Chic CounselTwitter | Instagram | YouTube | Google+

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I was, too! As you might be able to tell from my other posts, I'm a DryBar fiend, but spending $35 (not including tip) every two weeks gets old.

      I ended up making myself learn to do it and now, after being patient and learning the tricks, I can visit DryBar and it is more of a luxury for me.

      I hope you're able to give a DIY blowout a try soon and let me know how it works out for you :)

      Delete

Share This Post

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig